Two persons have been confirmed dead at Mankessim following sporadic gunshots by an unknown assailant during the outdooring of a paramount queenmother on Saturday.
The dead – an officer of the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) whose name was given only as Ampofo and a civilian who was yet to be identified – were in the procession.
Seven other persons including a police inspector, Mr. William Nyarko also sustained injuries.
Inspector Nyarko has been referred to the Cape Coast Teaching hospital for treatment while the others were taken to Our Lady of Mercy Hospital in Mankessim.
The Mankessim Divisional Police Commander, Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCOP) Owoahene Acheampong said the police have arrested five persons to help in investigations. He said investigations into the matter would continue earnestly.
The outdooring of Nana Araba Otua II follows years of chieftaincy dispute in the area.
Graphic Online gathered that a court only last week struck out the gazette of Osagyefo Amanfo Edu and Nana Ama Amissah who have for years been recognized as Paramount Chief and Paramount Queenmother respectively.
Nana Araba Otua’s faction who had laid claim to the stool for many years held the outdooring ceremony which began from the palace at Obuonmu in Mankessim to the five main family grouping shrines.
But after starting the processions and a few meters from the palace, an unknown assailant fired gunshots into the procession hitting the deceased persons and the others.
The incident compelled police at Mankessim to call for reinforcement from the Cape Coast Regional Police Command.
The incident held up the ceremony for about two hours before it resumed.
After about the two hours break the procession regrouped, going through the streets of Mankessim and later converging at the palace grounds.
Omankyeame (linguist) Kofi Hagan in a brief remark said Mankessim was now ready to move on with the outdoored Queenmother, adding that in consultation with the kingmakers, a new paramount chief would be named soon.