Energy Minister-designate Mathew Opoku Prempreh says he regrets his accusations against former President John Mahama during the SHS computerised placement chaos in 2017.
The then Education Minister accused the NDC leader of busing parents and underaged children to the placement challenge centre at the Black Star Square in Accra in order to sabotage the Free SHS programme, which had been started by the NPP administration.
The comment came in the wake of frustrations expressed by some of the concerned parents who had spent days at the centre in the attempt to have their wards placed in Senior High Schools. Some of the children collapsed at the centre.
Appearing before the Appointment Committee of Parliament Friday, the Manhyia MP said he does not have the evidence to back his claim against Mr Mahama.
When the Tamale North MP Alhassan Suhunyini asked if he had evidence to back the accusation, the nominee said: “No, I don’t. Mr Chair, I actually said that I’d use different words and I do regret it”.
Pressed further by the Minority leader Haruna Iddrisu, the Energy Minister-dsignate said: “Honorable member, you asked me to do something and I did it. If those words I used hurt him, I do withdraw and I apologise to him”.