President Akufo Addo has nominated 30 Ministers for his second term in office on Thursday, January, 21, according to a Press release from the Jubilee house communication Bureau.
According to the statement, the President has reduced the number of ministers for his second term, after he historically rose the number of ministers in his first term to a whooping 126.
Now, the President feels, he has achieved what he set for in his first term of Presidency, thereby reducing the ministers down to 85.
The President strategically maintained 15 ministers and brought in new faces to the spice up his government machinery.
However, according to some critics the President got it wrong with choosing some particular people for some strategic portfolios.
Let’s start with:
- Sidelining Isaac Kwame Assiamah: President Akufo Addo chosed to sideline Isaac Assiamah in his second term, bringing in Mustapha Yussif, MP for Yagba/Kubori as his new Sports Minister. Some section of Ghanaians feels the former minister did so much in the sports ministry which the President should have maintained him.
- Nomination of Asenso Boakye and Abu Jinapor: Asenso Boakye and Abu Jinapor’s nomination has raised some level of dissatisfaction within the inner circle of NPP. They have been appointed as Cabinet Ministers due to their loyalty to the President. But some say, the corruption allegation leveled against them at the start of Akufo Addo’s first term should not have earned them this cabinet portfolios.
- Ken Ofori Atta as Finance Minister: Akufo Addo’s cousin Ken oOfori Atta has been nominated again as Ghana’s Finance Minister, with all the corruption charges and incompetency leveled against him by the opposition and some Civil society groups still ringing in the minds of some Ghanaians. People feel, the President should have nominated someone else for this Job for his second term.
- Not Nominating any NDC or an independent mind as a Minister: Since the NPP almost lost majority in Parliament and almost coming into a pale with the minority NDC, Political analyst were of the view that, the President should have appointed some people from the NDC or other Political parties for a Ministerial Portfolio.
- The Reappointment of Kan Dapaah: Albert Kan Dapaah became a subject of troll on social media, after his tape with a slay queen went viral. Since then, Security Analysts especially Adam Bona, has said, Kan Dapaah needed to have been reshuffled or sacked because he has lost torch in the security dynamics in the country. Others have also called for the dismissal of the popular politician, but the President still went ahead to nominate him for the same role as National Security Minister.
These five points were raised by independent political analysts, social media activists, political analysts and other activist.